Sunday, 29 April 2012

Ancillary - Digipak and Digipak Analysis






Mind Map of Information upon Album Digipaks


This is a detailed plan of how I am going to structure my album digipak. The conventions of album will be based upon the music genre Hip-Hop. I have sketched out a rough plan and then fulfilled out the final copy upon Corel PaintShop Pro X4. 

Comparison between album cover plans and the final draft

I have chosen to keep the same black background however to improve I added a graphic of smoke within the back ground to add to the ghastly theme present throughout the album digipak. I have used the colour scheme black, white and red. Among young people (who is our target audience), black is often seen as a color of rebellion and a touch of mystery. Red is the color of fire and blood, so it is associated with energy, war, danger, strength, power, determination as well as passion, desire, and love. Red is a very emotionally intense color and associated with courage. reflective of the album name 'Come and Get ME Vol. 1.' The font I have  used for the typography in particular the Artist's name holds the conventions of Mafia and Gang type Game 'Grand Theft Auto' as well as the font used for the album name being reminiscent of graffiti that adds to the gangster and street type conventions associated with Hip-Hop culture. I have used an close up image of the artist to ensure to highlight the artist's recognizable hairstyle to establish a brand. The glare within the Artist's eye to promote a threatening look reflective of the album name to insinuate immortality and that e is untouchable. I have removed the natural colour from the central image and used a photo edit called 'Hot Wax Coating' and made the image red so the artist's face stands out most almost reminiscent of a traditional Wanted poster again reflective of the album name.

Comparison between inside Information layout and final draft





I have used a skyline background to continue the 'hood'  type theme as well as well as to sow the artist in is element as he addresses the recipient of the album. 



I have followed the same layout of my original plan only slightly skewing the image to ensure that I am consistent with my colour scheme. I have used the font 'Script MT Bold' as it contrasts the image of a poor ghetto area with a posher font to promote the 'ghetto fabulous' lifestyle apparent in the genre of Hip Hop as well as to give an impression of a personalized handwriting as if it were a letter. Again I have used a Close up of the artist specifically focusing upon the face of the artist so people continue to recognize the artist making the message of this aspect of the album more sincere and personal. 

Comparison Between track information and final draft 

I have used a variation to the format of the album digipak and used a vertical page. I have kept to the plan and used a long body shot to show the artist's street wear attire  The photo depicts the artist in a power stance showing dominance and confidence of the artist. Again I have kept to the colour scheme, distributing them evenly to stay consistent and add to the artist's brand. I have introduced the normal information usually included in the track information within the digipak providing made up writer and producer information to add to the authenticity of the album. Again I have skewed the back ground to structure the layout of where the text is held to stay consistent with the previous layout of the 'A message from J Hustle page'.

Comparison between plan of the back cover and the final draft 

Same techniques used within the majority of the digipak. I have stuck with the same signature close up Side image of the artist with the same digital editing to make it seem that the artist has a heavy appearance within the album and to continue the emphasis upon identity of the artist also. The artist holds an angry demeanor suited to the content associated with a Hip-Hop album. I have used the same format skewed horizontal back ground to add to colour scheme. I have added a track list also which is usually found upon the back of an album cover; I have purposefully slanted the text to suit the layout of the back cover. I have taken the initiative to add a bar code upon the the back cover, an aspect to an actual album cover.

Final Draft layout of J. Hustle - Come and Get Me Vol. 1 Album Digipak

Included:-
  • Album cover
  • Message page
  • Track Information page
  • Bonus Poster
  • Back cover




4 comments:

  1. Really like this - shall post in detail about it in a bit but wanted to establish something else more vitally first whilst it is still fresh in my mind.

    1) Where is the other ancillary product? (If I've just missed it, let me know)
    2) Will the four evaluation pieces be appearing soon?
    3) Have you done a full check of your blog against the blog pack to make sure everything is there in detail?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. finished 3/4 questions for the evaluation
      Just finished the other ancillary tasks
      No I haven't but I planned to to that today.

      Delete
  2. Stick a label for 'research and planning' on this one too (just trying to make sure we've taken a belt and braces approach to labelling to make sure the moderator can see everything they need to easily without having to search...your labels make perfect sense, I'm just being a micromanaging bothersome human being).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think I need to add anything else to the blog? The evaluation is complete.

      Delete